Sunday 1 December 2013

Shape and Situate: Rebellious women at the dawn of capitalism

So happy to have contributed another poster to the fantastic Shape and Situate zine - now on it's fifth issue! This time it was a collaborative effort with radical feminist historian Lady Stardust. About six months ago, I read her essay Burning Women: The European Witch Hunts, Enclosure and the Rise of Capitalism and was completely blown away. I immediately knew I wanted to make a poster about it. Of course, I have a well established love of Medieval art, as demonstrated here and here.

Highlighting the intersections between patriarchy, the enclosure of the commons and the professionalisation of medicine, it is a fascinating look at how brutally communities were divided in order to pave the way for capitalism. I really can't recommend it enough.
The more I tried to put things into my own words, the more I realised that I couldn't say it as well as Lady Stardust. So, rather than just crediting her for inspiration, I decided to get in touch with her and see if she wanted to collaborate with me on the poster. A few exciting emails about feminist history later, we were deciding what the title would be for our poster. 

In theory, zines and diy culture are great ways to reach out and extend community. This genuinely felt like putting that theory into practice.

No comments: