Monday 4 October 2010

Pivo across America - Seattle



In Seattle, I spent the day with my 92-year-old grandma walking around her neighborhood, visiting her farmer's market and looking at the amazing P-patches




When I was growing up in the Midwest, I spent Christmas and most vacations with my maternal grandparents in Dayton, Ohio so I didn't see much of my dad's parents in Seattle (featured earlier here.) The glasses on this grandpa are actually modeled on the pair my Ohio grandpa is wearing in an old photograph I have up on my wall.




The summer after my grandpa in Seattle died of cancer, when I was 11, I visited my grandma on my own. We hung out in her trailer home and she gave me a copy of Are You There God, It's Me Margaret that I read excitedly every spare second I had. We also ate lots of great Seattle donuts and I had my first taste of Chinese food.



Twenty years passed before I ended up spending some more quality time with my grandma, who is now my only surviving grandparent. So my first paste-up in America is just a reminder that it's never too late to get to know your grandparents and find out more about where and who you come from. 



Pasted up on the corner of Massachusetts and 12th Avenue in Seattle, WA.

No comments: